CARMEL, Ind. – The 2019-20 Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC) women's basketball season heated up in the new year, with conference action in full swing.
Around the League:
Athlete of the Week:
Bayleigh Walker (Plainfield, Ind.) Franklin College | Forward | Junior – Walker Led Franklin in scoring in a pair of wins over Salve Regina and Framingham State at the Land of Magic Classic in Daytona Beach, Fla. She averaged 24 points and 4.5 rebounds per game, had a game-high 17 points in a blowout win over Salve Regina on Saturday afternoon and followed it up with a career-high 31 points on 13 field goals, scoring 19 second half points as the Grizzlies rallied back to beat a quality Framingham State team on Sunday afternoon.
- Lexi Dellinger (Berne, Ind.) Anderson University | Guard | Sophomore - Dellinger averaged 16.5 points and 4.5 assists as Anderson went 2-0 for the week. Dellinger provided 12 points and six assists in a 65-55 win against Kalamazoo. She then recorded 21 points and three assists in a 54-42 victory against Earlham.
- Sammy Shardo (Findlay, Ohio) Bluffton University | Guard | Freshman - Shardo was named to the All-Tournament Team for the McDonald's of Bluffton Classic after draining a school-record seven threes in Bluffton's 77-38 win over Cairn in the tourney opener Saturday night. She hit 7-of-9, all in the first half, for a team-high 21 points. Shardo followed that up with 10 points, including two more triples in Sunday's 70-54 win over a Westminster team that entered the weekend 10-0. She netted 15.5 PPG while going 9-of-13 from distance for a ridiculous 69.2 percent as Bluffton swept through the McDonald's Classic!
- Savannah Courtney (Lawrenceburg, Ky.) Hanover College | Forward | Junior - The Panthers resumed play with a pair of strong matchups, taking on Otterbein and Trine. The junior led the way for the Blue and Red as she scored a team-high 16 points and pulled in eight rebounds in the contest with Otterbein, while netting 11 points against Trine. She finished the week with 27 total points and shot 55.6 percent from the floor.
- Macy Miller (Huntertown, Ind.) Manchester University | Forward | Sophomore - Miller helped the Spartans to a 56-30 win over Mount St. Joseph on Friday Jan. 3. She tallied 12 points and nine boards against the Lions, adding three steals and two assists as Manchester beat MSJ for the first time since January 2017. Miller averaged eight points and six rebounds in three total games during the past week.
- Shelby Boyle (Morgantown, W. Va.) Transylvania University | Guard | Senior - The senior guard had two consistent performances to lead the Transylvania women's basketball team to a pair of 20-plus point victories over the week to continue an undefeated start in HCAC play. Boyle contributed eight points, eight rebounds, three assists, and one block off 4-for-9 FG shooting in 28 minutes of work in a runaway 68-42 win at home against Earlham last Monday. The senior followed up the win with a tone-setting performance, scoring 16 of her game-high 18 points in the first quarter of a 67-47 road win at Bluffton. Boyle's first quarter consisted of 16 points on 6-for-7 shooting from the floor, a perfect 4-for-4 performance from three-point range, along with four rebounds and one assist. For the afternoon, Boyle tallied 18 points, seven rebounds, five assists, and one steal on 7-for-10 shooting from the floor. Over two games this past week, Boyle totaled 26 points, 15 rebounds, eight assists, one block, and one steal while shooting 58 percent from the field and 50 percent from downtown as the No. 15 nationally-ranked Pioneers moved to 10-1 on the season.