CARMEL, Ind. – The 2019-20 Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC) women's basketball season continued in week four, with teams in action around the region.
Around the League:
Athlete of the Week:
Brianna Gillig (New Riegel, Ohio) Bluffton University | Forward | Sophomore - Gillig just missed her third career double-double, putting up 22 points and pulling down nine boards as Bluffton downed Heidelberg 70-65 at home on Tuesday night when the Beavers improved to 4-0 on the season.
- Hannah Hawkins (Fairmount, Ind.) Anderson University | Center | Junior - Hawkins tied a single-game school record with six blocks in a 67-50 win against Bob Jones on Tuesday. She recorded a double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds.
- Taylor Steinbrunner (Beavercreek, Ohio) Defiance College | Guard | Freshman - Steinbrunner, a freshman, came off the bench to score a team-high 12 points last Tuesday in Defiance's home opener, a 68-59 non-conference loss to undefeated Ohio Northern. She was 4-of-5 (80.0 percent) from the field with all of the shots coming from three-point range. Steinbrunner also had two rebounds, an assist and a steal in 23 minutes.
- Kayla Bowling (Osgood, Ind.) Earlham College | Guard | Junior - Bowling came off the bench to lead Earlham women's basketball with 16 points to lead the Quakers past visiting Bob Jones University, 94-68, last Monday, Nov. 25, in Earlham's only game last week. The win was Earlham's first of the season. Bowling was 6-of-13 from the floor (.462 FG%) with one 3-pointer and was 3-for-4 at the free-throw line in the victory, and added three rebounds, two assists, and a steal to her stat line.
- Katie Hartman (Madison, Ind.) Hanover College | Guard | Senior - Hartman led the Panthers with a game-high and season-high 20 points in the team's lone contest at Centre College. The senior shot 50 percent from the floor (8-of-16), including a perfect 3-for-3 from three-point. She also pulled down six rebounds with a steal.
- Miranda Bieghler (Plainfield, Ind.) Manchester University | Guard | Sophomore - Bieghler helped the Spartans defeat Beloit College 81-54 on Sat. Nov. 30. She tied a career-high with 13 points in 24 minutes off the bench. Bieghler went 5-of-10 from the field and was 3-of-5 from beyond the three-point arc and added career-high four assists, picked up three steals and grabbed two rebounds. The Spartans now sit at 3-2 on the young season.
- Shelby Boyle (Morgantown, W. Va.) Transylvania University | Guard | Senior - The senior guard averaged 18 points on 40 percent shooting from the floor and averaged seven rebounds and 2.5 assists in two games for the Pioneers this week as they fell to Maryville 75-67 on Friday and won against Redlands 59-57 on Saturday at the Pat Deacon Tournament. Boyle tallied a line of 14 points, eight rebounds, and one assist on 6-of-17 shooting from the field vs Maryville as she crossed into the 1,000 point career scoring mark on Friday and finished off her weekend with a game-high 22 points along with six rebounds, four assists, three steals, and a block against Redlands. In the win against Redlands, Boyle knocked down 6-of-11 three-pointers (54 percent) and now leads the HCAC in three-point makes. Three of her 11 three-pointers came during a key first-quarter run in which she helped the Pioneers close the quarter on a 12-0 run to give the Pioneers their first double-digit lead of the night, a buffer that was key in the win.