CARMEL, Ind. – The Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC) saw its football members open the 2019 season in week 1, with many of the league going head-to-head with nationally ranked competition.
Around the League:
Athletes of the Week:
Chaiten Tomlin (Mt. Orab, Ohio) Mount St. Joseph University | Quarter Back | Senior - Tomlin led the Lions to a 41-27 win over Geneva College on Saturday. In the game the Lions running game was stifled to the tune of only 11 total yards, so the Lions chances were placed squarely on the senior's right shoulder. He delivered to the tune of a 25-for-37 (67.6 percent), 385-yard afternoon. He was responsible for all five of the Lions touchdowns, four throwing and one rushing.
Sean Sullivan (Covington, Ky.) Mount St. Joseph University | Linebacker | Senior - Sullivan led the Mount with a league high 19 tackles on Saturday in the Lions 41-27 win over Geneva College. He also registered two tackles for loss and a forced fumble.
Spencer Dufresne (Dayton, Ohio) Mount St. Joseph University | Kicker | Senior - Dufresne was perfect 5-for-5 on extra points and 2-for-2 on field goal attempts in the Mount's 41-27 win over Geneva on Saturday. Hitting field goals from 19 and 44-yards respectively.
- Reggie Lipscomb (Indianapolis, Ind.) Anderson University | Running Back | Sophomore – Lipscomb posted 14 points in Anderson's 34-21 win over North Park. The sophomore had 15 carries for 113-yards and two scores.
- Trevon McCall (Riverdale, Ga.) Anderson University | Linebacker | Senior – McCall accounted for four tackles, including two solo. The senior also picked up 1.5 sacks for a loss of 12-yards and 2.5 tackles for a loss of 22-yards.
- Chase Fisher (Cicero, Ind.) Anderson University | Kicker | Senior – Fisher was a reliable resource for the Ravens, going one-for-one on extra points, picking up 195-yards on his five punts, including a 47-yard long boot.
- Antonio Crossty (Wooster, Ohio) Bluffton University | Defensive Back | Junior - Bluffton was led by Antonio Crossty who had 12 solo tackles and also assisted on five for 17 total in Bluffton's 31-6 loss at Wooster on Saturday.
- Shawn Coane (Evansville, Ind.) Hanover College | Running Back | Junior - Coane rushed for a game-high 159-yards on 25 carries. The junior averaged 6.4 yards per carry with a game long 30-yard scamper that placed Hanover inside the Centre 10-yard line. As a team, the Panthers rushed for 189-yards.
- Kyle Treber (Mishawaka, Ind.) Hanover College | Linebacker | Junior - Despite a tough loss to nationally ranked Centre College on Saturday, Treber turned out a strong performance on the defensive side of the ball. The junior finished with a game-high 11 tackles including eight solo. The Hanover defense forced the Colonels to punt four times despite falling 45-31.
- Brayden Oberhausen (Louisville, Ky.) Hanover College | Kicker | Sophomore - Oberhausen had a stellar day for the Blue and Red as he registered 160 total yards on five punts. The sophomore averaged 32-yards per punt, including a 40-yard bomb. He finished the afternoon with three punts inside the 20-yard line.
- Austin Roberts (Indianapolis, Ind.) Manchester University | Wide Receiver | Senior – Roberts accounted for 207-yards for total offense in Manchester's opener against Trine University. Threw for 128-yards and a touchdown. Carried the ball 15 times and broke loose for a 48-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter. Finished with 79-yards on the ground.
- Conner Sherwin (Pierceton, Ind.) Manchester University | Linebacker | Junior - Sherwin led the Manchester defense with a career-best 14 total tackles and one sack against No. 26 Trine. He posted eight solo tackles, forced a fumble, and recovered a fumble against TU.
- Andrew Kibler (Cape Coral, Fla.) Manchester University | Kicker | Sophomore - Kibler made all three extra point attempts for the Spartans against Trine in last week's season opener. Punted twice for an average of 34.5 yards per punt.